POR (rule 9.1b) states that “the District Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities for Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. This will usually be by means of an informal system agreed between the District Commissioner and each Group Scout Leader or District Explorer Scout Commissioner”.
This documents the delegated responsibilities for authorising activities under POR Rule 9.1b in Stretford District.
- Group Scout Leaders are responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Beaver, Cub and Scout sections in their Group (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). Group Scouts Leaders will need to see and consider every section’s programme on a regular and frequent basis.
- The District Explorer Scout Commissioner is responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Explorer Scout Units in the District (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). The District Explorer Scout Commissioner will need to see and consider every Unit’s programme.
Where Explorer Scout Units have a partnership agreement with a particular Group, the District Explorer Scout Commissioner and Group Scout Leader will agree the specifics of delegated responsibility of authorisation of Explorer Scout Unit Activities as part of their Partnership Agreement, that these delegated responsibilities will be regularly reviewed within the Group and District teams and updated where appropriate.
- If, in any instance, a Group Scout Leader or the District Explorer Scout Commissioner is unsure whether to authorise a particular activity, they must discuss it with the District Commissioner.
- In the absence of a Group Scout Leader or District Explorer Scout Commissioner, these responsibilities transfer to a person Acting in that role or to the District Commissioner, which will be agreed by the relevant parties at the time.
- Where an activity is covered within the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme and led by a member of the District holding the relevant permit, the GSL / DESC must be aware of the activity taking place on each occasion (see points 1 and 2). If you are using someone from outside the District with a permit or an external provider the DC must be informed.
- All Nights Away and Visits Abroad will be approved directly by the District Commissioner through the online Nights Away Notification / Visits Abroad Notification forms.
- By exception, as well as notification to the Group Scout Leader and/or District Explorer Scout Commissioner the following activities must be notified to the District Commissioner who will seek appropriate advice on suitability ahead of approving the activity to take place: -
- all water activities on Class C waters,
- all walking activities at Terrain Zero in places away from the normal local area,
- all shooting activities (unless after prior agreement with the District by those Groups who have a range capability at their meeting place and access to qualified instructors),
- all air activities,
- all motor sports.
- For activities and events involving only adults (adult only nights away POR: 9.57m iv, and Adult Groups in Adventurous Activities POR: 9.8) the District Commissioner must be notified of the activity taking place.
Approval of activities will be discussed at each District Team meeting to ensure that everyone is comfortable with the process outlined above and applying consistency, also providing an opportunity for the system to be reviewed and amended as appropriate.
(Revision Date: 31/05/2020)